Sunday, August 19, 2012

Loosed

Happy Sunday!
Bishop Alexis A. Thomas preached from Luke 19:29-32. His message was entitled "I Feel Like I'm Getting Loosed!"

This scripture is generally used around Easter. It's the story of Jesus getting his transportation for his triumphant entry into Jerusalem. You remember, he tells his disciples to go into the town and they would find a colt tied up. They were commanded to take the colt and if anyone asked what they were doing they were to tell them the Lord needed it.

Bishop asked us to look at this a different way. Our enemy desires to keep us bound up. He wants us bound by fear, poverty, and ignorance. He wants to keep us from reaching our divine purpose and our ultimate potential. The enemy wants us tied down, locked up, impeded, immobilized, and restricted spiritually, emotionally, physically, and financially.

Think of humanity as the colt. Minding his own business. He had no idea that there was a prophecy over his life. Zechariah 9:9 spoke about the colt hundreds of years before the diciples came to get him; "Shout and cheer, Daughter Zion! Raise the roof, Daughter Jerusalem!
Your king is coming! A good king who makes all things right, a humble king riding a donkey, a mere colt of a donkey."
(Message Translation) The colt had destiny, purpose, and potential. He just needed someone to "loose" him and allow him to be all he could be. We have to truly be disciples and do our part to set our brothers and sisters free. Think about it..."Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:18-20 (Message Translation)


My mother loved the song, "A Charge to Keep". It was written by Charles Wesley in 1762. It reminds us that we have a job to do. We are our brother's keeper. The world is waiting for what you and only you have to offer.

A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify,
A never-dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky.


To serve the present age,
My calling to fulfill:
O may it all my powers engage
To do my Master’s will!


Arm me with jealous care,
As in Thy sight to live;
And O Thy servant, Lord, prepare
A strict account to give!


Help me to watch and pray,
And on Thyself rely,
Assured, if I my trust betray,
I shall for ever die.


Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment