Sunday, September 23, 2012

Do what GOD told you!

Happy Sunday!

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
And I don't borrow from its sunshine,
For its skies may turn to gray.
And I don't worry about my future,
For I know what Jesus said,
And today He walks beside me
For He knows what lies ahead
Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand
But I, I know, I know, I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds, who holds my hand - Ira Stanphill

I heard this song on the way to church this morning.  Of course, I was in tears.  I'm a cry baby anyway.

It's comforting and refreshing to know that God cares for us and he has our lives in his hand.  There is so much happening right now in our lives and in our world.  Uprisings, violent attacks, political campaigns, and I-Phone 5's.  If we aren't cautious we can become overwhelmed.

That's probably why the Word says, "Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life." - Philippians 4:6 (Message Translation)

One of our Associate Ministers preached today, she used 2 Kings 4:1-44.  This passage is full of life applications.  A certain woman comes to the prophet with a problem.  Her husband has died and left her with massive debt.  The creditors are coming to take her sons away to be slaves.  The prophet asks her, "What do you have in your house?"  What a great question to ask today?  What do you have in your house?  Do you realize God has given you everything you need to suceed?  It's in your house!  It's in the unique person he created you to be.  Acts 10:34 says, “It’s God’s own truth, nothing could be plainer: God plays no favorites! It makes no difference who you are or where you’re from—if you want God and are ready to do as he says, the door is open." (Message Translation)

All the woman had was a container of oil, the prophet gave her these instructions.  "Here’s what you do,” said Elisha. “Go up and down the street and borrow jugs and bowls from all your neighbors.  And not just a few—all you can get. Then come home and lock the door behind you, you and your sons. Pour oil into each container; when each is full, set it aside.  She did what he said. She locked the door behind her and her sons; as they brought the containers to her, she filled them. When all the jugs and bowls were full, she said to one of her sons, “Another jug, please.  He said, “That’s it. There are no more jugs.” Then the oil stopped. (Message Translation)  The woman was able to sell the oil, pay her debts, and live off the rest. 

What can we get from this?  Glad you asked.  Do what GOD told you!  No need to explain to your neighbors.  Keep the process secret, lock the door to naysayers, critics, and haters!  There will be plenty of time for testimonies when God brings you out!  Don't think small!  The prophet instructed her to get lots of pots or vessels.  Do you realize that she determined the size of her blessing by the number of vessels she was willing to collect?  We quote it all the time..."exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think".  Exceeding means to surpass others; excel or be superior.  Abundantly means plentiful, profuse, and numerous. 
Selah.

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment