Sunday, December 16, 2012

If

Happy Sunday!
Bishop Alexis A. Thomas didn't preach today, but we got a sermon all the same. We are all still in shock and saddness over the senseless mass killings in Connecticut. Bishop had parents come to the altar with their children and prayed for them as well as the families and community in Connecticut.

Bishop did encourage and challenge us with one scripture...2 Chronicles 7:14.

2 Chronicles 7:14 says, "If my own people will humbly pray and turn back to me and stop sinning, then I will answer them from heaven. I will forgive them and make their land fertile once again." (Contemporary English Version)

When the word "if" is used it alerts us to certain specific conditions. You may have signed a contract that had "if" phrases. For example, if you continue to pay the auto loan you can continue to enjoy the automobile. But "if" you decide to spend that money elsewhere, the auto loan company may come repossess your vehicle. In this scripture, God makes it clear that we have a responsibility. And "if" we want to live in a peaceful and civilized land we must be willing to do the following...

1) Humble Yourself - Humble is defined as - Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful. Proverbs 6:16-19 says, "Here are six things God hates, and one more that he loathes with a passion: eyes that are arrogant, a tongue that lies,
hands that murder the innocent, a heart that hatches evil plots, feet that race down a wicked track, a mouth that lies under oath,
a troublemaker in the family." It sounds so simple and self-explanatory, but think about this...God was speaking to his own people. He was speaking to the people who should have known this already. Everyday we have to check ourselves and say with the Psalmist, "Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me." Psalm 51:10 (New Living Translation)


2) Pray - Jesus gave us a model prayer. If we have trouble thinking of the right words to pray, we can follow his example..."Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen." Matthew 6:9-13 (New King James Version)

3) Turn Back to Me - STOP Sinning! - Seems pretty simple, but why are we still struggling. The Apostle Paul wrote to the Romans, "I obviously need help! I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it. I decide to do good, but I don’t really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don’t result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time. It happens so regularly that it’s predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God’s commands, but it’s pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn’t that the real question? The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different." - Romans 7 (Message Translation) We can't do it in our own strength, but with the Spirit of God we are empowered..."For with God nothing shall be impossible." Luke 1:37 (King James Version)

After we keep our end of the bargain, God promises to hear and answer our prayers, to forgive our sins, and heal our land.

I'm praying for Peace on Earth...I will ensure that it begins with me.
I'm praying for Love and Respect for Life...I will work to speak words that bring help, and encouragement, and not harm.
I'm praying for Comfort to all the brokenhearted...I will be alert and compassionate to others and understand that a little kindness goes a long way.
I'm praying for you...that all your needs will be met, and that you will have plenty left over to share with others. (2 Corinthians 9:8)

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment