Sunday, June 22, 2014

"Praising God in Strange Places"

Happy Sunday!

Our guest speaker today was Bishop-Designate, Dr. Carolyn D. Showell, PhD.  I feel like I need to add a disclaimer at this point.  The message was so powerful and prophetic it would take weeks for me to share it all.

She used Psalm 137:1-6...

By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion. We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.  For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion. How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?  If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning.  If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy. (King James Version)

She gave two titles to the message; "Praising God in Strange Places" and "The Questions of an Unwilling Praiser".   

In this scripture text, the Children of Israel were in captivity.  You remember the story. They refused to obey God and their enemies got the best of them. This is their Blues song!  They cried about being in a strange place and asked, "How could we sing a song about the Eternal in a land so foreign, while still tormented, brokenhearted, homesick?" (Voice)  Great question! How can I praise God when my heart is broken because of the senseless murder of a loved one? How can I praise God when my relationship is falling apart?  How can I praise God when the bills are due and the money is funny?  How can I praise God when the doctor has given me a terrible prognosis?  This scripture has the answer.  STOP DWELLING on the PAST! The Children of Israel couldn't praise God because they kept living in the past!  They could not enjoy the blessing of today because they were stuck in the yesterday. We don't want to be like the Children of Israel.  We have to change our minds about trials and tribulation.  There's only one way to change our minds. Romans 12:2 says, "Do not allow this world to mold you in its own image. Instead, be transformed from the inside out by renewing your mind. As a result, you will be able to discern what God wills and whatever God finds good, pleasing, and complete." (Voice)
 
Dr. Showell described the Children of Israel as "arrogant" and classified their question as an arrogant question.  The true question should be, "Is there ever a time when praise is not appropriate?" Psalm 34:1 says, "I will praise the Eternal in every moment through every situation." (Voice)  

When we praise God the Holy Spirit gives us fresh intelligence and revelation that will shift our circumstances. 1 Corinthians 2:9-10 says, "No mere man has ever seen, heard, or even imagined what wonderful things God has ready for those who love the Lord. But we know about these things because God has sent his Spirit to tell us, and his Spirit searches out and shows us all of God’s deepest secrets." (Living Bible)

Psalm 150:6 says, "No one should be left out; Let every man and every beast— every creature that has the breath of the Lord—praise the Eternal! Praise the Eternal!" (Voice) 

It's always time to praise God!

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment