Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Procrastination

Happy Tuesday!

I'm sharing this with you, but it ministered to me first!  A few years ago, Bishop Tudor Bismark encourage his congregation to always work to improve themselves. He suggested learning a new word daily.  I receive a daily email from Merriam Webster that I enjoy.  The word for today is PROCRASTINATE.  Ouch! It even hurts to type it!  I have been known to procrastinate, and I am working on it daily.

The Holy Spirit ministered a little more to me about this word today.  By definition it means to put off intentionally and habitually; to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done.  In John 9:4, Jesus says, "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.- (KJV)".  What was Jesus talking about? That's what I asked myself.  The Living Bible Translation says, "All of us must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent me, for there is little time left before the night falls and all work comes to an end".  The Voice Translation makes it even clearer, "While it is daytime, we must do the works of the One who sent Me. But when the sun sets and night falls, this work is impossible".  I know what you may be thinking...we live in a 24 hour society! People work all night long.  I've even worked the night shift myself.  Jesus couldn't have been talking about night time only, but he was talking about the end of our time, and perhaps even the end of the world as we know it.

Pablo Picasso said, "Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone". WOW!  Now, don't get me wrong this is not a good-bye letter.  I expect to live to be 120 years old, unless Jesus returns before that.  I also pray that you live a long, healthy, and prosperous life.  I'm just encouraging myself to do those things I have been putting off.  Mary Kay Makeup leaders used to encourage their new representatives with this, "You have something that the world can't live without!"  You do and I do too!  What if that something needs to be presented or released today?  That would mean that the world will have to wait.  Bishop T.D Jakes once said, "God gives several people an idea, because most will do nothing with it!"  Think about it! Tell the truth...haven't you been watching television and seen a product or service that you thought about years ago?  You and I procrastinated and missed the opportunity.  Deuteronomy 8:18 says, "Remember that God, your God, gave you the strength to produce all this wealth so as to confirm the covenant that he promised to your ancestors—as it is today.-(Message)'.  God gives us power and strength to get wealth!  We have a part to play in it!  That part involves moving forward with the dreams, goals, and assignments he has given us.  God is not raining money down from the sky, he is not making any money!  But he will give us money making, ideas, talents, inventions, products, and services.  He also gives us supernatural favor..."If you want FAVOR with both God and man, and a reputation for good judgment and common sense, then trust the Lord completely; don’t ever trust yourself.-Proverbs 3:4(Living Bible)".

Why do we procrastinate? Good question!  FEAR is the number one reason.  We fear what others will think, we fear that it will not work, we fear that our idea will not be good enough, and we fear that maybe we didn't really hear God say do it.  2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.-(KJV)".  If you are afraid, God didn't give you that fear!  Your enemy, the one who wants you to hide that talent in the ground is lying to you! Don't let him cheat you! Don't let him cheat the world!

Love and Prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment