Sunday, April 17, 2016

Moving Forward

Happy Sunday!

Today would have been my mother's 71st Birthday.  Of course, it is still her birthday but she is not here in the earth realm to share it, and enjoy it with us.  She made sure we experienced music in every area of our lives.  Saturdays were cleaning days, and cleaning days included music.  One song that I was reminded of recently is entitled, "I Got To Go On Without You".  If you Google it, there are several renditions.  The one my mother liked was performed by Shirley Brown.  The song tells the story of a person who finally realizes their relationship is not working, and a change has got to come.  In another sense, many of our loved ones have had to go on without us.  The Apostle Paul wrote about the dilemma, "If I continue living here on earth, I will be able to work for the Lord. But what would I choose—to live or to die? I don’t know.  It would be a hard choice. Sometimes I want to leave this life and be with Christ. That would be much better for me; however, you people need me here alive. I am sure of this, so I know that I will stay here and be with you to help you grow and have joy in your faith."(Philippians 1:22-25, Easy-to-Read Version).  He unselfishly thought of his children in ministry and determined there was still more work to be done.

Someone is following you.  What legacy are you leaving?  If you had to go on without them today, how would they respond?  Would they have fond memories of music, fellowship, and worship?  Or would they be happy you were gone because of the lies, inconsistencies, and abuse?  Galatians 6:7 warns us, "Make no mistake: God can’t be mocked. What you give is what you get. What you sow, you harvest."(Voice).  Surprisingly, people often seem to be amazed when they and others reap exactly what they have sown.  The old folks used to say, "The apple don't fall far from the tree!"  This was just another way of saying our children will follow our example.  The harvest however, is always greater than the seed.  If we lie about being home when a bill collector calls, the harvest could be that the child lies about a felony offense.  If we hate our neighbor for throwing trash in our yard, the harvest could be that the child hates a whole race of people and seeks to destroy them.  If we speak disrespectfully of a pastor, policeman, or someone in authority, the harvest could be that the child disrespects authority and loses their life because of it.  Where am I going with this?  So happy you asked.  Make the most of the time you have on earth!  Realize that if Jesus delays his coming, we may have to go on without some people too!  How are you preparing them?  Are you setting them up for success or failure?

Jesus had three years to prepare his disciples for world changing ministry. He spent time teaching them, and showing them how to live by example. He sowed seeds of faith, and love, and reaped an enormous harvest of souls.  After spending quality time with Jesus, this is how the people described the Apostles, "These men who have turned the world upside down have come here also,"(Acts 17:6, Amplified).  Won't it be nice to one day meet people in heaven and find that your life was a blessing to them?  Can you imagine hearing the stories of how you kindness changed lives?  Or will your legacy be one of selfishness, self-seeking, and self-serving? Jesus said, "What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?"(Matthew 16:26, Message).

In another light, I plan to go on without a few other things.  I plan to go on without unbelief!  If God said it, I will stake my life on it!  I plan to go on without envy and strife, the Word says its most deadly!  James 3:16 says, "Any place where you find jealousy and selfish ambition, you will discover chaos and evil thriving under its rule."(Voice).  I also plan to go on without regret.  I have repented, I have been forgiven, and I'm moving forward with wisdom.

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment