Sunday, November 19, 2017

Me too!

Happy Sunday!

2 Corinthians 4:8-10 is a poetic and familiar scripture, "We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body."(KJV).  You know I love the Word, and can always find scripture application for life occurrences.  When you have time, read this scripture in other translations.  The Living Bible says it this way, "We are pressed on every side by troubles, but not crushed and broken. We are perplexed because we don’t know why things happen as they do, but we don’t give up and quit.  We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going.  These bodies of ours are constantly facing death just as Jesus did; so it is clear to all that it is only the living Christ within who keeps us safe". 

The last portion of verse 10 in the Living Translation is key, "so it is clear to all that it is only the living Christ within who keeps us safe".  Don't miss this!   The Apostle Paul knew all about struggles and trauma!  He wasn't just giving out cliches, or cute quotes.  He was speaking from life experience.  He'd been beaten, stoned with rocks, left for dead, and shipwrecked three times(2 Corinthians 11:25).   He would live under house arrest for years, and eventually be put to death.  But even when he considered death he was positive..."For to me, living means opportunities for Christ, and dying—well, that’s better yet!"(Philippians 1:21, Living Bible).  Don't misunderstand, he was not suicidal, but he was aware that we win, even if we die.  

I've mentioned before, that I did not get to meet my biological father.  I'm still processing lots of life events, and it's easier because I have connected with some of my siblings on my father's side.  We had an opportunity to get together this weekend in Minnesota.  Conversations generally go back to the "why" behind all that we have experienced.  We will never know all of the details, but as we grow closer more of the pieces are put together and make more sense.  We do not make excuses for our father, but we do realize that he experienced trauma in his young life that undoubtedly affected him and his decision making processes.  What do you do with trauma?  How do we move on after painful experiences?  How do we live without fear?  Great questions!  I'm so glad you asked!  The Psalmist wrote, "From the end of the earth will I cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed and fainting; lead me to the rock that is higher than I [yes, a rock that is too high for me]."(Psalm 61:2, Amplified).  The Voice Translation says, "You are the One I will call when pushed to the edge"(Psalm 61:2).  When we are pushed to the edge emotionally, physically, and financially our only hope is the Love of God and our confidence and trust in Him.

Before you discount my understanding of hard things and trauma, let me tell you a story that very few people know.   At five years old I was molested by a cousin.  It was horrendous and made worse when another male family member, was told about it and said, "You let him do that, why didn't you let me?"  For decades, this event clouded my opinion of my self worth.  I thought it was my fault and that I was the evil one, and that I was to blame.  Fast forward many years, and it was revealed that other family members had suffered similar events.  One cousin even asked me if I'd had this experience too.  I lied and said I did not.  I apologize, and I hope that she will forgive me.  I even had a pastor who made a derogatory comment in response to Joyce Meyers testimony of abuse.  Since this woman never dealt with anything like this, she refused to believe it was true and said she believed it was an attention getting plot.  I assure you this is not the kind of attention any person, young or old is seeking.  Coping is not enough, healing is necessary.  I've been healed and am being healed daily.  I have forgiven my cousin, and I understand that he may have been a victim at some point himself.  Before one of my great-aunts passed away, she shed light on periods in his life where he was vulnerable because of bad decisions his mother made. 

Deuteronomy 22:15-27 says, "In this way you will reduce crime among you. But if this deed takes place out in the country, only the man shall die. The girl is as innocent as a murder victim; for it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to hear and rescue her out in the field."(Living Bible).  This scripture talks about rape and our responsibility to "scream" or tell someone.  Our nation is buzzing about so many women in all walks of life finally revealing what they have endured.  I'm not against them in any way, but because I can relate I say it's important that we encourage others to tell someone immediately!  Don't wait decades!  Until these people are healed and delivered themselves, they will continue to hurt others.  When we bring their deeds out into the light, we can prevent them from doing more damage.  The enemy is a liar.  When we tell the truth, we shut his mouth!  In conversation with family several years ago, this cousin was mentioned, and it was revealed that he exposed himself and wanted that person to touch his genitals.  They refused.  I don't think you can imagine how I felt, knowing that perhaps I could have stopped this by telling someone back in the 70's.  

God is merciful!  He takes our mess and gives us a message. We have to be willing to tell the story.

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment