Sunday, May 20, 2018

Dead Men Walking

Happy Sunday!

One of my favorite scriptures is Galatians 2:20.  I'll pause for a moment.  Those of us that grew up in, and around the church should know this one by heart.  I love it because it's poetic.  It has rhythm and movement.  It says, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."(KJV).   Because He loved me, the old me died on the cross with Christ, but by faith the new me gets a chance to live through Christ.

Pastor Carlos T. Brown, Sr. of Word of Life Ministries in Collinsville, Illinois preached, "The Power of Pentecost".  Act 2:1-4 says, "And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.  And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.  And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."(KJV).

Hopefully, you are familiar with this passage.  But have you ever wondered why Jesus commanded them to wait for the Promise of the Holy Spirit?  Acts 1:7 tells us why, "And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.  But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."(KJV).   Jesus knew that we would need supernatural power to complete the task.  Our purpose on earth is to be witnesses.  I know that the word "witnesses" can easily be misconstrued.  It may bring to mind old episodes of Perry Mason, grilling a witness on the stand in the courtroom.  Or a witness to an accident volunteering their contact information for the police.  Or perhaps, it brings to mind Jehovah's Witnesses on the local streets, or knocking on your door early on a lazy Saturday morning.   But Strong's Exhaustive Concordance says this word witnesses really means "martyr".  Don't miss this!   Jesus was saying this mission would lead to death.  For the Apostles, it was literal...for most of us it is figurative.  This wasn't new for them.  Jesus had been telling them this for three years.  In Matthew 16;25, Jesus said, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."(KJV).

Jesus said, "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you ALL things, and bring ALL things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."(John 14:26, KJV).   Don't miss this!  Jesus is the Word.  The Holy Spirit has come to comfort us, teach us, and remind us of the Word.  John 14:27 gives even more comfort, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."(KJV).   Jesus brought peace into an atmosphere of fear.  He's still speaking peace to us now.   Our society is filled with fear.  Watch 30 minutes of television and 15 minutes of it will be ads for the latest and greatest medicines with deadly side effects,  financial planning commercials to convince you to fear not having enough money for retirement, and breaking news about death and destruction.  It's enough to create fear in even the strongest heart.  But dead mean don't worry, they don't fret, and they don't hold grudges.  Nothing bothers them.  This brings us back to Galatians 2:20..."I have been crucified with Christ [that is, in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body I live by faith [by adhering to, relying on, and completely trusting] in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."(Amplified).

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment