Sunday, May 10, 2020

Long Lost Mother

Happy Mother's Day!

Lately I've been watching old episodes of Long Lost Family - UK on YouTube.  It's always good for me to see families reconnected.  It's like missing pieces of a puzzle finally being found.  The family resemblances are uncanny.  It reminds me of my Aunt Betty.  I would walk in the room and she would exclaim that I looked just like my biological father, and even walked like him.  She'd say it gave her chills.  Do you remember that I never met him?  He saw me when I was less than 2 years old, but before getting pictures from my Uncle Lee A. Green, Sr.  I wouldn't have been able to pick him out in a police line up. LOL!

I've noticed a few similarities in most of the cases portrayed on the show.  First, the mothers generally do not want to give up their children.  Many felt hopeless, and had no where to turn.  Their families turned against them, and some were told by their parents they could come home, but the baby could not come with them.  Second, the mothers for the most part saw an opportunity to give their babies a better life.  Episode after episode when meeting their children the birth mothers ask if the child had a happy life.

Isaiah 49:15 says, "But the Lord says, “Can a woman forget her baby? Can she forget the child who came from her body? Even if she can forget her children, I cannot forget you."  Don't miss this!  God says even if you were forgotten by your mother He will never forget you!  Isn't this awesome?  God is all about fixing things, and making life better.  Jesus told us, "The thief comes with the sole intention of stealing and killing and destroying, but I came to bring them life, and far more life than before."(John 10:10, Phillips).  We must remind ourselves often that God is always good.  When we are confident of his character it's easy to rest in his protection and promises.

Third, I noticed that many families waited too late.  I can relate.  When I seriously  searched for my biological father I was a few months too late.  He'd passed away in February of that year, and it was May when I met my Uncle Lee and Aunt Lois in person. I wish I'd looked for him much sooner.  On the show when the parent has died, they often try to soften the blow by letting the child know that they have siblings.  I'm thankful that I've been so very blessed to connect with my sister, Emelia, and brothers, Christopher and Anthony.  Still hoping to meet an older sister we were told was born in Shreveport, Louisiana when our father was just 16 years old.

What can we take away from all this?  Good question!  I'm so glad you asked!  Don't put off what you can do today for tomorrow.  Be merciful, people are imperfect and make decisions based on their situations. Even if you don't like the way things happened, remember God loves you and he will make bitter experiences sweet.  In Psalm 27:10, the Psalmist declared, "My father and mother abandoned me. I’m like an orphan! But you took me in and made me yours."(Passion).  If your mother is still living, shower her with love, appreciation, and gifts.  If your mother is in Heaven, thank God that you will see her again one day.

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment