Sunday, September 13, 2020

Strength Training

 Happy Sunday!


“So, Jeremiah, if you’re worn out in this footrace with men, what makes you think you can race against horses? And if you can’t keep your wits during times of calm, what’s going to happen when troubles break loose like the Jordan in flood?"(Jeremiah 12:5, Message).

I love the Word!  You already know this.  It shows us just how real people lived, learned, and loved God.  Jeremiah talks to God openly and without fear, and God responds as the loving father He is.  In short, He tells Jeremiah to "Man Up".  Read the first part of the chapter yourself.  Sounds like what we are experiencing today.  We believe the promises of God, and we have His Word on our futures but what we see with our eyes is so very contrary.  But just like 2 Corinthians 5:7 we must remember to, "walk by faith, not by sight:"(KJV).

Since the quarantine started, we've been inside much more than we were in the past.  I would generally get a mile or more of walking in each day without even trying.  Walking to the bus stop, walking from a downtown bus stop to the Subway, walking from the train station to the next bus, and then most days I'd walk over to my favorite Meijer Grocery to get lunch or supplies for the work day.  I live just over a mile from Lake Michigan.  That was one of our requirements when searching for a place here in Chicago. It had to be near the lake.  I was flabbergasted to find that many people live here for decades and never visit the lake.  We are not those people!

A good friend who lives in Prescott, Arizona asked me what I was doing for exercise.  I sadly talked about my cycling classes being canceled due to COVID-19, and not getting out as much.  She expressed that getting her walk in everyday was top priority.  I was certainly encouraged and began walking to the lake very early each morning.  The first day I had trouble breathing.  I don't have asthma, or any other health issues but being in the house for so long had taken its toll on me.  I had to sit down several times during the 5 mile walk.  I remember walking a mile comfortably in 15 minutes a few years ago.  Currently, I'm doing a mile in around 24 minutes.  Each day it gets easier and I get stronger.  We go early enough to catch the sunrise.  Each one is different and makes me remember Lamentations 3:22-23, " of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."(KJV).

What has that got to do with you?  Great question!  I'm so glad you asked.  Physically, emotionally, spiritually, and financially we need to be strengthened.  We know our weak points, and if we are unsure the Word says, "If you don’t have all the wisdom needed for this journey, then all you have to do is ask God for it; and God will grant all that you need. He gives lavishly and never scolds you for asking."(James 1:5, Voice).  We have to do our part.  Getting in the Word, hearing faith-filled ministries, being open to learning new things, and fighting complacency, procrastination, and laziness.  I use Proverbs 6:10-12 to remind myself of the perils of laziness. "You say, “I need a rest. I think I’ll take a short nap.” But then you sleep and sleep and become poorer and poorer. Soon you will have nothing. It will be as if a thief came and stole everything you owned."(Easy-to-Read Version).  OUCH!

I picked 5 miles because 5 is the number of Grace, and I sure need it to stay motivated. I'm excited for the day when I can do much more much faster.

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment