Sunday, April 3, 2022

Jesus Did the Hard Work

 Happy Sunday!

"No weapon that has been made to be used against you will succeed. You will have an answer for anyone who accuses you. This is the inheritance of the Lord’s servants. Their victory comes from me,” declares the Lord."(Isaiah 54:17 GW).

We are in a war.  Not against Russia, or Ukraine.  We are in a battle for our lives against the forces of evil, the Devil and demons.  We have nothing to fear because Jesus already won the Victory, but in this earthly life we may face challenges and obstacles.  Jesus said, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have PEACE. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."(John 16:33 KJV). 

Dow Bathroom Cleaner has a slogan, "We work hard so you don't have to!" I can't vouch for Dow Scrubbing Bubbles but I know that Jesus did the hard part so we don't have to.  The Apostle Paul acknowledged this and called the life we should now be living, "Rest".  Hebrews 4:6 says, "So the opportunity is still there for some to enter and enjoy God’s rest. But those who first heard the good news about it did not enter, because they did not obey."(Easy-to-Read Version). OUCH!  I sure don't want to copy the example of those that refused to obey.  The Psalmist said, "Again and again they turned away and tempted God to kill them, and limited the Holy One of Israel from giving them his blessings."(Psalm 78:41 Living Bible).

So if Jesus paid it all as we so happily sing, what do I have to do?  Great question!  I'm so glad you asked!  "When Jesus came near, he spoke to them. He said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. So wherever you go, make disciples of all nations: Baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Teach them to do everything I have commanded you. And remember that I am always with you until the end of time.”(GW).  

Now just in case you think He was only speaking to the Disciples and Apostles, Mark 16:15-18 makes it clear these instructions are for all Believers. "Then he said to them, “You must go out to the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature. He who believes it and is baptized will be saved, but he who disbelieves it will be condemned. These signs will follow those who do believe: they will drive out evil spirits in my name; they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up snakes, and if they drink anything poisonous it will do them no harm; they will lay their hands upon the sick and they will recover.”(Phillips).

The Devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy(John 10:10).  Jesus came to destroy the works of the Devil(1 John 3:8).  As Believers we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to do good works, and even greater works.  Jesus said, "I tell you for certain that if you have FAITH in me, you will do the same things I am doing. You will do even greater things, now that I am going back to the Father."(John 14:12 CEV).

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment