Sunday, February 8, 2015

Knowing God

Happy Sunday!

Brother Andrew Wommack taught a lesson entitled, "Knowing God".  His reference scripture was, Colossians 2:8..."Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." (KJV)

We all have a philosophy! You may not be the next Socrates, Plato, or Kanye West, but you do have a philosophy. Philosophy is defined as, "a particular system of thought based on such study or investigation".  Years of living on this earth, the ups and downs, the good and the bad, have caused us to create our own philosophy.  The problem is our personal philosophy normally contradicts, and is opposed to the philosophy of God!

Genesis 3:1 says, "Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field". Why is this phrase relevant?  So glad you asked!  The devil didn't use the strongest animal or the largest animal to deceive Eve.  The devil could not force them to do anything. Believe it or not, he can't force you to do anything either!  The enemy had to get into their thinking!  He had to change their thinking. SIN starts in your mind! YOUR actions and your emotions are linked directly to what you think!  The serpent attacked the Word of God.  He is still attacking the Word of God today!  The Word says, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." (KJV)  

I know, I know...you say, I asked and I didn't receive! So are you calling Jesus a LIAR?  Last time I checked those words were in red!  That means Jesus said them himself! Either the Word is the true or your philosophy is true. You can't have it both ways! I choose to believe that God is right!  So why didn't I receive what I prayed for?  If you are like me, many times I prayed for things that did not line up with the will of God.  God will never give you anything that contradicts his Word. That woman's husband will not be yours, he's taken!  That promotion will not be yours if you are lazy, the Word says, "Laziness lulls people into a deep sleep; a slacker will have nothing to eat." (Voice)  So many times, I cancelled my own answer to prayer with my mouth! I prayed for something, it didn't materialize immediately and my mouth went to work!  I would say, "Well, I guess it's not God's will to give me this". More than likely my blessing was on the way, but I cancelled it with my own words. The Bible says, "Those who love to talk will suffer the consequences. Men have died for saying the wrong thing!" (TLB)

So how can I know God better, and create a Christian Philosophy? Great question! Romans 12:2 says, "Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold, but let God re-mold your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity." (Phillips)  Our thinking has to change.  The more Word we know, the more our philosophy will change! Ok, I hear you.  You say, "I already know the Word!  I been memorizing scriptures since childhood! The word "know" in the Bible means to know intimately...like having sex!  Genesis 4:1 says, "And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived." (KJV)  I know my neighbors, but I don't KNOW my neighbors!  You have to know God and his Word on another level. Jesus said, "You will know the truth and the truth will make you free.” John 8:32(NLV) If I'm not free in a particular area, I don't know the truth in that area.

When we get a revelation of who God really is from reading, studying, and hearing the Word, we won't doubt His ability, or His desire to help us! I've said it before and I'll say it again, "God is a Good father!"  He is not out molesting and abusing his children, causing them to have tragic accidents, putting cancer on them to teach them lessons, and killing their love ones!  The devil is the one that does that! Remember this scripture is in red letters too! "The thief approaches with malicious intent, looking to steal, slaughter, and destroy; I came to give life with joy and abundance." John 10:10(Voice)  You would never allow some stranger on the street to care for your child or grandchild, or even your pet!  You only trust people you know with things you love.  When we learn to trust, and get to know God our personal philosophy will change!

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment