Sunday, March 4, 2018

Lifelong Student

Happy Sunday!

God is the best teacher you will ever have.  I'm confident that even if we failed to see the lesson, there are lessons in every experience we have.   My son, Terrence A. Pruitt always says, "God does not waste instructional minutes".   What did you learn this week?  I question my students after each lesson to determine if they really got it and if they can apply it to their daily lives.

So, what did you learn this week?  I'll give you a moment to think.   While you are thinking, I will tell you what I learned.

I learned that at any level of spiritual maturity it's still possible to overlook all the good things and be overwhelmed with the bad.  That's the trick of the enemy!  Don't think you have enough money?  Do you remember having less?  I do.  I remember one year making $13,000.00.  Yes, it was years ago, but I was providing for my four children and myself.  Things are extremely different now.  Tired of your job, and dreaming of finding another?  Well, I had a flashback this week of some of the jobs I've had.  Office Cleaner, Domestic, Forklift Operator, Unit Secretary, Mail Clerk,  and Shipping, Packaging, and Order Filler for a Chemical Company just to name a few.  Not to mention positions held in church settings, Announcement Clerk, Sunday School Teacher,  Choir Member,  Usher, and all sorts of cleaning and cooking positions.  I remember many times peeling 20 lb bags of potatoes to make potato salad for banquets or repasts.  Thank God, today, I can and would just buy a food item for my contribution. Don't let the enemy blind you to all that is good! Sarah Jakes Roberts said, "May you never allow what is still left to do blind you from what you've already accomplished".

I learned that God is always speaking. He wants to have an intimate relationship with us.  May I see your phone?  If I scroll through your text messages and call logs I will be able to determine who the most important people are in your life.  Sure, there are people I love that I communicate with using other methods.  You know I love to send cards, but I put time into these relationships.  I shared Job 23:10 with my Best Friend, Gina this week.  Only to have her respond that it was the very scripture her pastor used in Bible Study!  It says, "But He knows the way that I take [He has concern for it, appreciates, and pays attention to it]. When He has tried me, I shall come forth as refined gold [pure and luminous]."(Amplified).  God is always speaking, but are we listening?

I learned that Mercy is the best way.  Luke 6:36 says, "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."(KJV).  People are crazy!  Don't laugh, I'm serious!   If you don't want to act as crazy as they do, you will have to have Mercy.  Generally, there is a reason behind their crazy.  Most times we have such a low tolerance for crazy, that we don't take the time to find out what makes people do what they do.   Mercy is defined as "compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm".   We have the power to harm, mistreat, and judge others with our words and deeds.  When we slow down, and extend compassion and forgiveness we are saving ourselves a lot of heartache and giving God time to work on us, and them.  Matthew 5:43-48 says, "“You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say ‘hello’ to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that".

“In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.”(Message).

I'd still like to know what you learned this week!

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment