Sunday, October 14, 2018

Pity the Fool...

Happy Sunday!

Proverbs 1:7 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."(KJV).   The Easy-to-Read Version says it like this, "Knowledge begins with fear and respect for the Lord, but stubborn fools hate wisdom and refuse to learn".

Reading this scripture made me think of Mr. T.  Do you remember Mr. T?  The A Team?  Rocky III?  Well if you do remember Mr. T, you'll know that he always said, "I pity the fool".   We used our imaginations when he'd say this.  I'd always envision a fool being beaten to a pulp by a bigger, stronger guy.  But do you realize a fool really will suffer because they refuse to listen, learn, and change.  Proverbs 10:27 says, "The fear of the Lord prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened."(KJV).  Don't miss this!  Another translation of this scripture says, "Reverence for the Eternal makes for a long and peaceful life, but a wrongdoer will have years taken away."(Voice).

Dr. Bill Winston continued the series, "Christ In You", with the subtitle, "The Comforter".  Isaiah 11:1-3 says, "And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:  And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord;  And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the Lord: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:"(KJV).  Of the Seven Spirits noted in this prophetic description of Jesus, we focused on the "Spirit of the Fear of the Lord".   God doesn't want us to be shaking in our boots when we come before Him, but he does expect reverential fear and awe.  Respect.  R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

How can I exhibit the Fear of the Lord in my daily life?  Great question!  I'm so glad you asked!  Psalm 119:11 says, "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."(KJV).  The Easy-to-Read Version says, "I study your teachings very carefully so that I will not sin against you".  The Living Bible makes is very plain, "I have thought much about your words and stored them in my heart so that they would hold me back from sin".  The Word of God when applied in daily life will help us to fear the Lord, which is the beginning of wisdom.  Wisdom is knowing how to use the knowledge we have to succeed.  God wants us to succeed!

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment