Sunday, October 28, 2018

Weak

Happy Sunday!

"Well, how much more do I need to say? It would take too long to recount the stories of the faith of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah and David and Samuel and all the other prophets. These people all TRUSTED God and as a result won battles, overthrew kingdoms, ruled their people well, and received what God had promised them; they were kept from harm in a den of lions and in a fiery furnace. Some, through their faith, escaped death by the sword. Some were made strong again after they had been weak or sick. Others were given great power in battle; they made whole armies turn and run away."(Hebrews 11:33-34, Living Bible).

It's good to recall the stories of Faith.  That's probably why the word, "remember" is mentioned so often in the Bible.  We tend to forget.  Jesus said, "So don’t worry about tomorrow. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Tomorrow will have its own worries."(Matthew 6:34, Easy-to-Read Version).  So many times we get pulled into the concerns for today, and forget that God is faithful everyday.  Take a moment, close your eyes and think back over your life.  If you are like me, "You've come a long way baby!"   Don't take this lightly.  What you have overcome has sent many others over the edge!

Today, Dr. Matthew L. Stevenson III preached, "The Weapon of Weakness".  We all focus on our strengths.  We tout them in our resumes, and on our social media profiles but we rarely mention our weaknesses.  Most of the time we don't even know we have a weakness until a stressful situation reveals it.  Moses was reared in the palace of Pharaoh.  He was a prince, and didn't need anything or anyone.  But when destiny and purpose came to call he realized his weaknesses.  Exodus 4:10-12 says, "And Moses said unto the Lord, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue. And the Lord said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say."(KJV).

God is not impressed by our strengths or surprised by our weaknesses.  The Apostle Paul wrote, "Three times I begged the Lord for it to leave me, but his reply has been, “My grace is enough for you: for where there is weakness, my power is shown the more completely.” Therefore, I have cheerfully made up my mind to be proud of my weaknesses, because they mean a deeper experience of the power of Christ. I can even enjoy weaknesses, suffering, privations, persecutions and difficulties for Christ’s sake. For my very weakness makes me strong in him."(2 Corinthians 12:8-9, Phillips).  Don't miss this!  We are strong in Him.  Philippians 4:13 says it best, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."(KJV).

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment