Sunday, May 12, 2019

I'll always love my Mama...

Happy Mother's Day

Who remembers the carnations that were sold or provided in the black church on Mother's Day?  I can't recall if it was the Mother's Board, or the Usher Board selling them, but everyone wanted one. You wore the white flower if your mother had gone to heaven, and the red flower if your mother was still here with you.  I don't have to tell you Mother's Day was quite emotional at church during these services.  A soloist would be selected to sing, "Motherless Child".  If you don't know this song, Google it Baby!  Have your Kleenex ready, it's a tear jerker with roots that go all the way back to slavery when children were sold away from their mothers.

I totally get it!  There are days when I break into tears thinking about my mother, and my sweet grandmother, Eliza Williams.  After I snap back to reality, I feel so grateful for their lives and everything they taught me and shared with me.  Joni Mitchell sang, "Don't it always seem to go. That you don't know what you've got til it's gone."   Sometimes, this is true.  BUT it doesn't have to be this way!  We have a great opportunity right now to love, and appreciate those dear ones in our lives.

Psalm 90:12 says, "Teach us to number our days so that we may truly live and achieve wisdom."(Voice).  Don't miss this!  As my son, Terrence A. Pruitt always says, "God does not waste instructional minutes."  He's always trying to get wisdom, and answers to us! This scripture reminds us there is a limit on this earthly life.  If Jesus doesn't return before your "time", you will die.  Numbering our days doesn't have to be morbid.  It's just good to remind yourself everyday to enjoy the simple things, laugh at the funny things, cherish those you love, and ignore the foolishness.  God has not given us a spirit of fear, so don't go into next week fearing death. Proverbs 9:11 lets us in on a little secret.  You can extend your life!  Did you know this?  It says, "Wisdom will help you live longer; she will add years to your life."(Easy-to-Read Version).

So what can we do with this wonderful life we've been given!  So glad you asked!  Proverbs 10:7 says, "Good people leave memories that bless us, but the wicked are soon forgotten."(Easy-to-Read Version).  Leave memories that Bless others.  Don't be that one mean family member that no one cares to recall, unless they are trying to convey how hard their life has been.  Make good memories now for those you love, and those that love you.

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment