Sunday, September 8, 2019

Without Excuse

Happy Sunday!

We are living in a great time.  So many opportunities, and possibilities.  But all of these things come with responsibilities.  Our church is hosting our International Faith Conference this week.  How wonderful it was to stream the live service from my bedroom.  I didn't have to get dressed, drive to the church, or wait in line hoping for a good seat.  I didn't have to fight the crowds to get out of the building and to the parking lot afterward.  I was even able to text my offering.  But it made me think...with all of the available options and ways to get the Word of God there is no excuse for not getting it.

Romans 1:20-23 says, "Since earliest times men have seen the earth and sky and all God made, and have known of his existence and great eternal power. So they will have NO EXCUSE when they stand before God at Judgment Day.  Yes, they knew about him all right, but they wouldn’t admit it or worship him or even thank him for all his daily care.  And after a while they began to think up silly ideas of what God was like and what he wanted them to do. The result was that their foolish minds became dark and confused. Claiming themselves to be wise without God, they became utter fools instead. And then, instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they took wood and stone and made idols for themselves, carving them to look like mere birds and animals and snakes and puny men."(Living Bible).

Don't miss this!  Even the earth and sky declare that God is real, and that He should be given our worship and praise.  Don't get me wrong, I love to attend worship services in person, and I know the Word instructs us "not forgetting to gather as a community, as some have forgotten, but encouraging each other, especially as the day of His return approaches."(Hebrews 10:25, Voice).  But I'm also so thankful that I can get the Word on radio, television, YouTube, Facebook, podcasts, CDs, DVDs, and so many other ways.  If I have question, I can Google it.  Everything we read on the Internet is not true, but so very much is.  If I'm reading something and don't understand a word, I can look it up.  I can also read another Bible translation to get a better understanding. 

Jesus described the Kingdom of Heaven as, "a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey."(Matthew 25:14-15, KJV).  Another translation says it this way, "It’s also like a man going off on an extended trip. He called his servants together and delegated responsibilities. To one he gave five thousand dollars, to another two thousand, to a third one thousand, depending on their abilities. Then he left."(Message).  The first two servants were conscientious and managed the master's money well.  But the last servant, "the man who received the $1,000 dug a hole in the ground and hid the money for safekeeping."(Living Bible).  You've heard the story before, the master rebuked the last servant and said, "You wicked and lazy and idle servant! Then you should have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received what was my own with interest."(vs 26-27, Amplified). 

Don't be like that lazy servant.  Take advantage of every opportunity you have to  manage, steward, and increase what God has given you.

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment