Sunday, February 2, 2020

No Comparison

Happy Sunday!

Happy Black History Month in the USA!

Did I tell you that there is only one race?  The Human Race.  Acts 17:26 says, "Starting from scratch, he made the entire human race and made the earth hospitable, with plenty of time and space for living so we could seek after God, and not just grope around in the dark but actually find him."(Message).  Yes, for centuries mankind has categorized groups by skin color and other characteristics for purposes of domination, but that was never God's intent.  Disenfranchisement, segregation, murder, rape, theft, lynching, police brutality, and so many other things suffered by people of color were and are motivated by our enemy Satan.  Jesus said, "The thief approaches with malicious intent, looking to steal, slaughter, and destroy; I came to give life with joy and abundance."(John 10:10, Voice).  God never wanted division, He wanted a happy family. 

The Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians about the issue of comparison.  "For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."(2 Corinthians 10:12, KJV).  You know I love to read scriptures in various translations.  Listen to this one in the Voice, "For we would never dare to compare ourselves with people who have based their worth on self-commendation. They check themselves against and compare themselves with one another. It just shows that they don’t have any sense!"   OUCH!  Don't miss this!  Comparing ourselves to others may make us feel really good especially if they are not as beautiful, prosperous, spiritual, or wonderful as we envision ourselves.  BUT the true measurement, the real comparison is with Jesus.  How do we stack up against his example?

The Apostle Paul, the one that made a major impact on what we now call the Bible said, "Yet, my brothers, I do not consider myself to have “arrived”, spiritually, nor do I consider myself already perfect. But I keep going on, grasping ever more firmly that purpose for which Christ grasped me. My brothers, I do not consider myself to have fully grasped it even now. But I do concentrate on this: I leave the past behind and with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead I go straight for the goal—my reward the honour of being called by God in Christ."(Philippians 3:14, Phillips).

The Apostle Paul also wrote, "Follow my example, just as I follow the example of Christ."(1 Corinthians 11:1, Easy-to-Read Version). 

Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment