Sunday, July 4, 2021

Please Don't Send Me To Africa

Happy Sunday!

Happy Independence Day!

I accepted Jesus as my savior as a 5 year old child at First Baptist Church of Chesterfield.  I believed the Bible stories taught to me by my parents, my Sunday School Teacher, Mother Gertie Moore, and my Pastor Reverend Theoplis Peoples Jr.   But even more than this, I believed the testimony of a Missionary from Africa, named Steven.  In my little heart, I knew that someone needed to go help the people in Africa. I didn't know it was a continent with many countries back then.  But I had no desire to go to Africa myself.  They were collecting money to buy food for the people, and dolls for the little girls.  I thought, "What kind of place could they be in where little girls like me didn't even have dolls?"  I had a plethora of dolls, even enough for my little brothers to play with and bite the toes off of my Barbies. LOL!  I understood even at a young age, that this place that I was blessed to live in, is a GOOD place.  I laughed years later when Scott Wesley sang the funny song, "Please Don't Send Me To Africa".  I will do everything you ask me to right here Lord.  I must say, I have changed my mind and there are several African nations I would like to visit someday.  I have some very special friends, and several ministries in Africa I'd like to visit in person.

Fast forward many years, and I still believe that this is the greatest country on earth.  Have I been hurt?  Yes. Have I had things, and years stolen from me? For sure! Have I been passed over, looked over, and disregarded?  Of course!  But do I blame a whole nation for my misfortune, my sadness, or inconvenience?  NO!  I thank God everyday that I am here and that I have the freedom to live a godly life.  I have the freedom to make choices, and changes.  I still believe that I can "Be All That I Can Be", and that no one on earth can stop me but me.  The Apostle Paul said, "I do concentrate on this: I leave the past behind and with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead I go straight for the goal—my reward the honour of being called by God in Christ."(Philippians 3:13-14 Phillips).

We are so blessed.  Even if you consider yourself poor, millions upon millions in the world consider what we have to be riches.  What other country are people risking life and limb to immigrate to?  Others can often see what we have overlooked.  The Psalmist said, "I will bless the Lord at ALL times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth."(Psalm 34:1 KJV).  Do you think the psalmist never had a bad day?  Do you think everything went well in his life?  Think again.  Drop down to verse 6, and he says, "I was a nobody, but I prayed, and the Lord saved me from all my troubles."(CEV).  Dean Martin sang, "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You".  It's so true, but do you realize that you are loved?  John 3:16 says, "For God SO Loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."(KJV).

The Message Translation says it this way, "This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn’t go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person’s failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him."(John 3:16-18).

Celebrating Independence Day!  Celebrating Life!  Celebrating Jesus!

Love and prayers, Cynthia


No comments:

Post a Comment