Sunday, June 19, 2022

Sons of God

Happy Sunday!

Happy Father's Day!  Happy Juneteenth!"And so we should not be like cringing, fearful slaves, but we should behave like God’s very own children, adopted into the bosom of his family, and calling to him, “Father, Father.”  For his Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our hearts and tells us that we really are God’s children."(Romans 8:15-16 Living Bible).I didn't learn about Juneteenth until the 1990's when I met my biological uncle, Lee A. Green Sr.  Perhaps, I wasn't paying attention in my Black History Class at Inkster High School in Inkster, Michigan because I thought I knew Black History.  I sure knew "Lift Every Voice and Sing", the Negro National Anthem because as part of the class we had to memorize it.  My Uncle Lee explained that in Shreveport, Louisiana our family generally celebrated Juneteenth instead of Independence Day, July 4th.  He was a great host, loved family, and could cook just about anything on the grill.  We loved being a part of whatever he was doing.  He worked at the Ford Plant in the St. Louis area and would generally work the Holidays for the double time and a half.  So we would await his call to tell us what specific day to come over to celebrate our freedom.The Apostle Paul wrote to the Romans to ensure they knew about freedom in Christ.  He wanted them to know that they were no longer slaves, they were now sons!  That's such Good News because a son will NEVER be treated like a slave in his father's house.  Don't miss this!  Think about the parable of the Prodigal Son.  Jesus said, "It wasn’t long before the younger son packed his bags and left for a distant country. There, UNDISCIPLINED and dissipated, he wasted everything he had. After he had gone through all his money, there was a bad famine all through that country and he began to feel it. He signed on with a citizen there who assigned him to his fields to slop the pigs. He was so hungry he would have eaten the corn-cobs in the pig slop, but no one would give him any."(Luke 15:12-16 Message).“The son realized that he had been very FOOLISH. He thought, ‘All my father’s hired workers have plenty of food. But here I am, almost dead because I have nothing to eat.  I will leave and go to my father. I will say to him: Father, I have sinned against God and have done wrong to you.  I am no longer worthy to be called your son. But let me be like one of your hired workers.’  So he left and went to his father."(Luke 15:17-20 Easy-to-Read Version).  Of course you know what happened, don't you?  His father welcomed him home with a party, new clothes, jewelry and plenty of food!  He was not treated as a slave or hired servant, he was still a son!Are you a son, or a slave?  Romans 8:14 says, "Only those people who are led by God's Spirit are his children."(CEV).Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment