Sunday, July 3, 2022

Now...

Happy Sunday!

Happy Independence Day Weekend in the USA!"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."(Hebrews 11:1 KJV).God designed the Word and "it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live".(2 Timothy 3:16 CEV).  I thought about using Hebrews 11:1 in this Happy Sunday, and I did.  But I was reminded of something very important when I went to the passage.  These "books" as we call them were really letters written to the early Christians.  When was the last time you assigned chapters and verses to your letters?  Never?  That's what I thought.  Letters flow from page to page. Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy that the translators broke it up and numbered everything.  Can you imagine what our Easter speeches would have looked like if we had to quote entire letters?  My mother was the Church Clerk and a Sunday School Teacher, so my Christmas and Easter speeches were always several paragraphs anyway.  I felt cheated as an adult when a young girl was asked to welcome the visitors at church and she said, "I welcome you once, I welcome you twice. I welcome you in the Name of Jesus Christ!"  Things sure have changed!My point about the books actually being letters is that we sometimes are reading and taking the thoughts out of context.  Hebrews 11:1 begins with the word "now".  It's almost like the word "therefore".  One minister said when you see the word therefore, you need to see what it was there for.  Chapter 10 of Hebrews gives us more insight into why the writer said, "Now faith is...".Hebrews 10:26-31 says, "Now if we willfully persist in sin after receiving such knowledge of the truth, then there is no sacrifice left for those sins— only the fearful prospect of judgment and a fierce fire that will consume God’s adversaries. Remember that those who depart from the law of Moses are put to death without mercy based on the testimony of two or three witnesses.  Just think how much more severe the punishment will be for those who have turned their backs on the Son of God, trampled on the blood of the covenant by which He made them holy, and outraged the Spirit of grace with their contempt. For we know the God who said, “Vengeance belongs to Me—I will repay,” also said, “The Eternal One will judge His people.” It is truly a frightening thing to be on the wrong side of the living God."(Voice).Hebrews 10:32-39 says, "Instead, think back to the days after you were first enlightened and understood who Jesus was: when you endured all sorts of suffering in the name of the Lord, when people held you up for public scorn and ridicule, or when they abused your partners and companions in the faith.  Remember how you had compassion for those in prison and how you cheerfully accepted the seizure of your possessions, knowing that you have a far greater and more enduring possession.  Remember this, and do not abandon your confidence, which will lead to rich rewards. Simply endure, for when you have done as God requires of you, you will receive the promise.  As the prophet Habakkuk said,In a little while, only a little longer,    the One who is coming will come without delay.But My righteous one must live by faith,    for if he gives up his commitment,My soul will have no pleasure in him.My friends, we are not those who give up hope and so are lost; but we are of the company who live by FAITH and so are saved."(Voice).  I know that was long, but don't miss this!  The writer is encouraging the readers to stick with God, and not turn back.  He's reminding them of all they have been through, and encouraging them with the promises of God.  He tells them they are in a special group, a group that lives by Faith.  And his thought carries over to chapter 11 where he defines Faith.  I love quoting Hebrews 11:1 by itself, and I won't likely stop but reading chapter 10 with it made it easier to comprehend.  James 2:26 says, "For as the human body apart from the spirit is lifeless, so faith apart from [its] works of obedience is also dead."(Amplified). Love and prayers, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment